Der anhaltende russische Angriffskrieg auf die Ukraine trifft, wie zu erwarten war, immer mehr die Zivilbevölkerung im Land. Die von Russland angebotenen humanitären Korridore zur Evakuierung umkämpfter Städte stoßen auf Skepsis – nicht zuletzt, weil sie überwiegend nach Russland oder Belarus führen sollen. Der – natürlich unvollständige – Sammler am 8. März 2022:
• Die Ukraine meldet weiterhin recht hohe Zahlen eigener Erfolge im Kampf gegen die russischen Streitkräfte; überprüfbar sind sie nach wie vor nicht:
The total combat losses of the enemy from 24.02 to 07.03:
🔺personnel- more than 12 000
🔺artillery systems- 120
🔺Anti-aircraft systems- 27
🔺fuel tanks- 60
• In den vergangenen Tagen hatte es bereits mehrfach russische Angebote für die so genannten humanitären Korridore gegeben, die der Zivilbevölkerung die Möglichkeit geben sollen, die Kampfzone zu verlassen. Allerdings wird von der Regierung in Kiew vor allem das Angebot, das eine Evakuierung in den Hoheitsbereich der Kriegsgegner Russland und – mittelbar – auch Belarus ermöglichen soll, kritisch gesehen. Dass diese Skepsis begründet ist, zeigt eine Aussage der russischen Mission bei den Vereinten Nationen, in der der Sinn dieser Korridore offen ausgesprochen wird:
Dennoch, so machte der ukrainische Präsidentenberater Michail Podoljak deutlich, hoffe das Land weiterhin auf mögliche Evakuierungen:
Die düstere Situation gerade von verwundbaren Zivilisten zeigt die regelmäßige Übersicht des United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA); hier der tägliche Lagebericht mit Stand vom (gestrigen) Montag.
Update: Es sieht danach aus, dass auch dieser jüngste Versuch, Zivilisten aus den umkämpften Städten herauszubringen, gescheitert ist – die Information vom ukrainischen Außenministerium am Dienstag um 11:49 MEZ:
Ceasefire violated! Russian forces are now shelling the humanitarian corridor from Zaporizhzhia to Mariupol. 8 trucks + 30 buses ready to deliver humanitarian aid to Mariupol and to evac civilians to Zaporizhzhia. Pressure on Russia MUST step up to make it uphold its commitments.
— MFA of Ukraine 🇺🇦 (@MFA_Ukraine) March 8, 2022
• Den ukrainischen Streitkräften soll es gelungen sein, einen (weiteren) hochrangigen russischen Offizier im Kampfgebiet zu töten. Dazu gibt es mehrere Meldungen; hier aus der Zusammenfassung des britischen Guardian:
A Russian general has been killed in fighting around Kharkiv, Ukrainian intelligence has claimed, which would make him the second general the Russian army has lost in Ukraine in a week.
The intelligence arm of the Ukrainian defence ministry said Maj Gen Vitaly Gerasimov, chief of staff of the 41st Army, had been killed outside the eastern Ukrainian city of Kharkiv, along with other senior officers.
Der Tod des Generals, so berichtete die Ukraine zudem, habe einen schwerwiegenden Fehler des russischen Militärs und seiner Geheimdienste offengelegt: Die Nachricht sei innerhalb der Streitkräfte über offene, unverschlüsselte Kanäle übertragen worden.
This is not the worst part. In the phone call in which the FSB officer assigned to the 41st Army reports the death to his boss in Tula, he says they’ve lost all secure communications. Thus the phone call using a local sim card. Thus the intercept. pic.twitter.com/cgHHo7VaRi
— Christo Grozev (@christogrozev) March 7, 2022
Dazu gibt es auch eine Abschrift dieses Telefonats. Grund dafür soll sein, dass die Geheimdienste der russischen Streitkräfte zwar eine verschlüsselte Kommunikationsmöglichkeit für Mobiltelefone einsetzen, die aber auf der 3G/4G-Datenübertragung von Mobilfunknetzen beruhe – und diese Mobilfunk-Basisstationen seien in einigen Gebieten zerstört worden, so dass nur noch eine unverschlüsselte Verbindung zur Verfügung gestanden habe. Auch das lässt sich derzeit nicht überprüfen.
• Update: Es gibt offensichtlich weiterhin ein auch englisches Briefing des russischen Verteidigungsministeriums – allerdings seit dem vergangenen Freitag nicht mehr auf Facebook (die Webseite mil.ru ist ohnehin seit Tagen nicht mehr erreichbar), sondern nur (?) noch auf Telegram. Ein Kollege der BBC hat das dankenswerterweise weiter verbreitet:
• Weitere Updates vom Telegram-Kanal des russischen Verteidigungsministeriums, original auf Englisch (vielen Dank für die Hilfe eines Lesers!). Interessant darin die Inkonsistenz, mit der einerseits die Zusammenarbeit mit den Vereinten Nationen hervorgehoben wird, andererseits die Vereinten Nationen als verlängerter Arm eines als kriminell dargestellten Regimes in Kiew bezeichnet werden. Auch die Schilderungen über die angeblichen unmenschlichen Bedingungen für Flüchtlinge in EU-Ländern dienen offensichtlich der Propaganda:
🇷🇺 🇺🇦 Meeting of the Joint Coordination Headquarters for Humanitarian Response in Ukraine (March 8, 2022)
▪️ Taking into account the rapid deterioration of the humanitarian situation in the settlements of Ukraine, where nationalists continue to forcibly detain thousands of civilians, including foreigners, yesterday the Russian side, despite repeated failures of all agreements by Kiev authorities, came up with another initiative to conduct a humanitarian operation. At the same time, we have completed all preparation for the evacuation of civilians and foreign citizens through safe corridors.
▪️ Unfortunately, out of the ten routes suggested to the Ukrainian side – two from Kiev, Chernigov, Sumy, Kharkov and Mariupol – including one from each city to the Russian Federation, as well as one through the territories controlled by the Kiev authorities to Poland, Moldova, Romania, official Kiev confirmed only one route – from Sumy through Poltava further to the border with Poland.
▪️ At present, thanks to the unprecedented security measures taken by the Armed Forces of the Russian Federation, 723 people have been evacuated along this route (among them: 576 are citizens of India, 115 of China, 20 of Jordan, 12 of Tunisia).
▪️ In addition, Russia, without the participation of the Ukrainian side, evacuated 5,334 people from dangerous zones in various regions of Ukraine, as well as the Lugansk and Donetsk people’s republics, including 781 children. Since the beginning of the special military operation more than 174,000 people have been evacuated including 44,250 children. The state border of the Russian Federation was crossed by 20,033 personal vehicles including 777 per day.
▪️ At present, also without the participation of the Ukrainian side, a humanitarian operation is being completed to evacuate 223 foreign citizens from dangerous areas of Kherson region, through Crimea to Novorossiysk, including 188 people from Turkey, 15 from Egypt, 8 from Italy, 6 from Pakistan and 5 from India, as well as 1 from Brazil. But these figures will increase as the operation is still ongoing.
▪️ At the same time, the official Kiev authorities continue to reject all the main evacuation routes from Kiev, Chernigov, Sumy, Kharkov and Mariupol to the territory of the Russian Federation. I would like to remind the Ukrainian side that in our database, 2,541,367 appeals have already been recorded through various communication channels from citizens of Ukraine, as well as foreigners, with requests to rescue and evacuate them from 1,917 settlements of Ukraine.
This database contains the names, surnames and addresses of these people, heartbreaking stories about the difficult humanitarian situation, about the horrors and atrocities perpetrated by nationalists, murders, physical violence and illegal arrests.
If we had basic confidence in the Ukrainian authorities, then we could give them this database in order to dispel the speculation that no one wants to go to the Russian Federation. But for obvious reasons, we cannot do this. As soon as the database is in the hands of the nationalists, all Ukrainian citizens who have applied for help will face persecution, humiliation, torture and execution.
For the same reason, we are afraid to give this information on to representatives of the United Nations, since detailed information about the citizens of Ukraine may also fall into the hands of nationalists.
▪️ Official representatives of the Kiev authorities and mayors of cities received the strictest instructions to prevent any attempt to evacuate to the Russian Federation. Citizens simply do not receive information about a possible evacuation to Russia and the creation of humanitarian corridors.
Any attempts to exit through humanitarian corridors to the Russian Federation are suppressed by the nationalists. We have already told you about this. Any additional comments here are unnecessary.
But no matter how the situation develops, no matter what measures are taken by the Kiev regime, including with the assistance of short-sighted,
unscrupulous UN employees, as well as other international organizations to conceal their monstrous crimes, sooner or later, the civilized world will learn about all the atrocities against its people.
This database will become direct evidence of lawlessness and crimes of the Kiev authorities against the citizens of Ukraine.
▪️ The Kiev regime, as a result of the loss of civil law administration in cities and towns, with its helpless actions, in practice, supports the chaos reigning in the territories controlled by Bandera gangs, does not notice the numerous facts of looting, which have already assumed catastrophic proportions.
This says that official Kiev does not control the state of affairs in its own country and cannot ensure the fulfillment of its obligations. All fundamental decisions are essentially taken by the nationalists and their accomplices.
Radical gangs continue to intimidate civilians, threatening them with murder when they try to evacuate towards Russia.
At the same time, the checkpoints in Poland, Slovakia, Hungary, Moldova and Romania unprepared to receive Ukrainian refugees trying to find protection from the terror organized by the territorial defence battalions. Traffic jams at border crossings. People are forced to abandon vehicles and walk with heavy bags. The queues stretched up to 40 kilometers, and the passage time exceeded two days.
At the same time, there are no toilets, no water, no food at the checkpoints, there are no heating points and medical care. Peopl are forced to stay outside for days at sub-zero temperatures. Numerous cases of physical violence, robberies, looting against Ukrainian refugees and foreign citizens were recorded by local criminals, who, in addition, demand a bribe of up to one and a half thousand US dollars for organizing unimpeded passage.
Various restrictions on admission have been introduced. In particular, male persons aged 18 to 60 years are not allowed to enter the territory of Poland without permission from Ukrainian military enlistment offices. But corrupt border guards offer a bribe of up to $5,000 to cross the border without hindrance.
After crossing the border, refugees face numerous problems related to the lack of basic conditions for accommodation and recreation.
In neighboring states, tent camps without any amenities are provided for their accommodation.
Despite the inconsistency of the actions of the Kiev authorities, we are ready to patiently wait for constructive work on humanitarian issues from them and hope for close cooperation with the relevant structures of the UN, the OSCE and other international organizations. Now, more than ever, it is important to get away from the political engagement of the humanitarian component, as a high-level official did immorally from the rostrum of the United Nations. This is extremely important for every person who finds himself in the most difficult humanitarian conditions in the settlements of Ukraine.
Since yesterday, the Joint Coordination Headquarters of the Russian Federation for Humanitarian Response in Ukraine has organized effective interaction with UN representatives, who, after the appeal of UN Secretary General António Guterres to the Minister of Defence of the Russian Federation, officially arrived in Moscow and are in contact with us around the clock.
▪️ Militants of the territorial defence battalions continue to hold hostage as a human shield more than four and a half million civilians, as well as about two thousand foreigners who have already expressed a desire to evacuate to safe places. Information about cases of discrimination against human rights on racial grounds by neo-Nazis continues to come in.
At the same time, the Russian side is creating the necessary conditions for a peaceful and safe life in all the liberated territories, ensuring unimpeded access of the population to any humanitarian aid.
▪️ More than 9,000 temporary accommodation centeres continue to function normally in almost all regions of the Russian Federation. Strictly individual work is organized with each person arriving in Russia.
▪️ The accumulation of humanitarian aid at points continues, more than 15,500 tons have already been accumulated.
946 tons of humanitarian cargo have already been delivered to Ukraine, 132 humanitarian actions have been carried out in the settlements of Zaporozhye, Kiev, Kharkov, Kherson and Chernigov regions, as well as in the Donetsk and Lugansk people’s republics. Over the past day 22 humanitarian actions were carried out in Kiev and Chernigov regions, as well as in the Donetsk and Lugansk people’s republics, during which 325 tons of basic necessities were handed over to the civilian population of the liberated regions, medicines and food.
To date, 33 humanitarian actions have been planned and are currently being carried out in Kharkov and Kherson regions, in Donetsk and Lugansk people’s republics, during which 341 tons of basic necessities, medicine and food will be distributed.
🇷🇺 🇺🇦 Briefing by Russian Defence Ministry
▪️ The grouping of troops of Lugansk People’s Republic, continuing offensive operations, took control of Pudovka and Nizhnee.
▪️ The units of the People’s Militia of the Donetsk People’s Republic took control over Olenovka, Pol’noe and Yuzhno-Donbass.
In Mariupol, after the end of cease-fire, the units of the Donetsk Republic advanced another 800-900 meters.
▪️ The units of the Russian Armed Forces took control of Peredovoe and Kariernaya.
▪️ During the day, bomber and assault aircraft of the Russian Aerospace Forces destroyed 32 military facilities.
💥 Among them: 4 command posts, 3 radar station, 2 fuel depots and 11 areas of concentration of weapons and military equipment.
▪️ In total, 2,581 military infrastructure facilities of Ukraine were destroyed during the operation.
💥 Among them: 90 command posts and communication centres of the Ukrainian Armed Forces, 123 S-300, Buk M-1 and Osa anti-aircraft missile systems, as well as 81 radar stations.
💥 Destroyed: 897 tanks and other armored combat vehicles, 95 multiple rocket launch systems, 336 field artillery and mortars, 662 units of special military vehicles, 84 unmanned aerial vehicles.
• In den Kommentaren bereits erwähnt: Polen scheint bereit, seine MiG29-Kampfjets an die Ukraine abzugeben – auf dem Umweg über die USA (mit ihrer Basis in Ramstein in Deutschland) und in Erwartung einer Lieferung von US-Kampfjets, vermutlich F-16. Die Mitteilung des polnischen Außenministeriums (auf Englisch):
Statement of the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Republic of Poland in connection with the statement by the US Secretary of State on providing airplanes to Ukraine
The authorities of the Republic of Poland, after consultations between the President and the Goverment, are ready to deploy – immediately and free of charge – all their MIG-29 jets to the Ramstein Air Base and place them at the disposal of the Government of the United States of America.
At the same time, Poland requests the United States to provide us with used aircraft with corresponding operational capabilities. Poland is ready to immediately establish the conditions of purchase of the planes.
The Polish Government also requests other NATO Allies – owners of MIG-29 jets – to act in the same vein.
Ergänzung/Update: Die USA reagierten darauf schlicht ablehnend, wie Pentagon-Sprecher John Kirby mitteilte:
We are now in contact with the Polish government following the statement issued today. As we have said, the decision about whether to transfer Polish-owned planes to Ukraine is ultimately one for the Polish government.
We will continue consulting with our Allies and partners about our ongoing security assistance to Ukraine, because, in fact, Poland’s proposal shows just some of the complexities this issue presents.
The prospect of fighter jets “at the disposal of the Government of the United States of America” departing from a U.S./NATO base in Germany to fly into airspace that is contested with Russia over Ukraine raises serious concerns for the entire NATO alliance.
It is simply not clear to us that there is a substantive rationale for it. We will continue to consult with Poland and our other NATO allies about this issue and the difficult logistical challenges it presents, but we do not believe Poland’s proposal is a tenable one.
• Aus dem Briefing des Pentagon am Dienstag, Details diesmal von Dan Lamothe von der Washington Post:
In today’s Pentagon briefing, many details sound reasonably stagnant. Bombardments continue. The convoy north of Kyiv is still stalled beginning at Hostomel airport. And the Russians continue to have a bit more success in southern Ukraine.
As of today, „nearly 670“ missiles have been launched at Ukraine by Russia since the invasion began Feb. 24, the senior U.S. defense official said. That number has risen by a few dozen per day for a while now.
Notably: The senior defense official noted the advance of Russian forces northeast of Kyiv. The’ve been pushing west from the area around Sumy, as Russia seeks to encircle the capital. As of today, they are about 37 miles east of Kyiv, the official said.
No appreciable change in combat power Russia has put in the fight. They are still at „nearly 100 percent“ of the combat forces they had arrayed at the border before the invasion began, senior U.S. defense official says. No sign they are bringing in reinforcements, he adds.
Russian combat power is still „largely intact,“ senior defense official says. Ukraine’s too.
Rough breakdown of Russia’s 670-missile barrage so far:
– Almost half fired from Russia
– About 70 from Belarus
– Handful from Black Sea
– The rest from inside Ukraine
Senior defense official says airspace is still contested. But he notes that Russia can reach just about anywhere over Ukraine with surface-to-air missiles. That, of course, is important in any conversation about a no-fly zone being established.
Russia shelled a major gas pipeline in eastern Ukraine yesterday, the senior defense official said. As a result, many in eastern Ukraine are now without gas.
Russians are „stuck“ outside Chernihiv without making progress there, senior U.S. defense official says.
In contrast, Mariupol is now isolated, the Pentagon assesses.
„Iterative discussions“ are ongoing with allies and partners are underway to supply Ukraine what it needs, senior defense official says. But no changes on the discussion about sending jets to Ukraine.
On humanitarian corridors, the senior defense official says that it is „disingenuous“ to say anything heading toward Belarus or Russia counts. Hope is for more that are honored by Russia in the future.
(In the hearing with Lt. Gen. Berrier, he forecast greater challenges for Kyiv this month, as Russia attempts to cut food and water supplies.
The situation, he said, „will become somewhat desperate in 10 days to two weeks.“)
The senior U.S. defense official said that when it comes to humanitarian corridors, „the Russians have not proven to be reliable.“
„Whether the two sides are able to continue to work out these kinds of agreements, we can’t know for sure,“ the official said.